Sunday, February 19, 2017

Nerawareta Gakuen (Psychic School Wars) Review

Again I said we'd look at my own anime/manga but I have to get this review out of the way first, so I apologize. Nerawareta Gakuen (Psychic School Wars)- is science fiction novel by Taku Mayumura adapted into a film released in 2012 directed by Ryosuke Nakamura. Nerawareta Gakuen and its art is very similar those works of Makoto Shinkai. It wasn't a bad movie but I wasn't the best either. If there weren't as many kinks in the movie I probably would've liked it as much as some of the better anime films I've seen. I will discuss the ending a little bit so.

*********************************SPOILER ALERT********************************



Summary
Kenji Seki has a daily routine that includes walking his dog at the beach, looking at his crush, Kahori Harukawa, and walking to school with his childhood friend and neighbor, Natsuki Suzuura. One day he stumbles across Ryouchi Kyougoku, a handsome new transfer student who claims to be psychic. Kenji's life has now changed as Kahori seems to fall for the new psychic and Natsuki seems troubled by problems of her own.


How it Could be Better
Though it wasn't bad it wasn't the best either. If it weren't for the kinks and hard to follow story I would proably be better maybe about as good as Kimi no na wa (Your Name). The problems are that the story is hard to follow at times and it is difficult to see what is actually happening. Natsuki can be slightly abusive at times towards Kenji, but that's probably expected to be from a tsundere type character. It wasn't a bad ending but I expected something better and that's probably what would've turned it around for this movie.

My Conclusion
I would give this anime 3.5/5 stars or a 7/10 score. It wasn't bad but it wasn't the best either. It has many flaws that it isn't nearly as good as its art and animation is. Overall, I thought it was an okay anime film. For other films with similar animation but are better I would recommend the ones directed by Makoto Shinkai like 5 Centimeters Per Second, The Place Promised in Our Early Days, and Kimi no na wa (Your Name).



No comments:

Post a Comment