Saturday, December 29, 2018

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card (Clear Card-hen) Review

Recently I finished and reviewed the original Cardcaptor Sakura series and said I would do the recent Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card next. Well I finished it so I will review it now! Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card, also known as Clear Card-hen in Japanese, was a 2016 manga that is still ongoing following as a sequel to the original Cardcaptor Sakura manga written by the wonderful manga artists, CLAMP. In 2017 we got the 27-minute OVA that was where we left off on the original Cardcaptor Sakura manga and our first look into Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card. Recently in 2018, Madhouse Inc. released a the 22-episode Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card anime. Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card follows the events of the manga more closely than the original TV anime series but still acts as a sequel to both the anime and manga. I was really looking forward to this anime and I liked it overall. After almost 20 years we get to see more with Cardcaptor Sakura.


Summary
With all of the Clow Cards recaptured and changed into her own Sakura Cards, Sakura Kinomoto now enters her first year at Tomoeda Middle School. After her initial day of classes, Sakura reunites with her love Syaoran Li, who informs that he is permanently moving back to Tomoeda. Much to her surprise, it even turns out that Syaoan will attend the same school and it seems as if Sakura's life is heading in all the right directions.
However, when Sakura goes to sleep, she encounters in her dreams a mysterious cloaked figure and finds herself surrounded by transparent cards. Waking up in fear, Sakura is shocked to see her dream has come true, with the Sakura Cards having turned clear. Continued dreamlike encounters with the unknown enemy and her gaining a new magical key sets the stage for Sakura's latest adventure!


My Thoughts
After the original CCS we get a sequel to see how the story progresses and where everything goes. CLAMP and Madhouse have both come a long way and we get some pretty great art in Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card that is modernized for 2018. Additionally, in the English dub we get Monica Rial and Jason Liebrecht from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle reprising their roles as Sakura and Syaoran. It has a similar story with collecting new cards but with new elements in the mix. Like I said in my previous review on CCS we have many of the same lovable characters along with some new ones. What I particularly like is that we can see the progression and maturity of our characters, mainly Sakura and Syaoran. Speaking of them we see how the relationship with our OTP progresses even more. We get some great moments between Sakura and Syaoran as a couple and even still I like most people just can't enough of these two as a couple. We are kind of left off with a cliffhanger in the end which made me curious. So I would've liked to see more of this anime, probably a movie like the original CCS or another series in the future, however, the manga is still ongoing so I will probably read the manga to find out how the Cardcaptor Sakura series goes on even more.


My Conclusion
I would give Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card 4.5/5 stars or a 9/10 score. I liked the anime and it was nice edition to the original classic Cardcaptor Sakura series. Like the original it was romantic and unique with some new elements added. The only thing is that I would've liked to see more added to the series like a movie or another season as I like most fans just can't get enough so I probably read the manga. Next I will be watching and reviewing another magical girl romance anime, Mermaid Melody and later Nanatsuiro Drops, so stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment