Sunday, September 2, 2018

Kamichu! Review

I recently watched Kamichu! also known as Kami-chu!: Kamisama wa Chuugakusei or The Goddess is a Middle School Student in English. As you may recall I did reviews on Telepathy Shoujo Ran, Inari Konkon, and Kannagi and I mentioned in each of them that I would watch and review Kamichu. Kamichu actually started as 16 episode 2005 anime series by Brian's Base and a 2-volume 2005 manga was written by Haruharu Naruko. I need to point out that the first 12 episodes are TV and the last 4 episodes are DVD specials only and I recommend watching the specials after the first 12 episodes. Kamichu is a supernatural, fantasy, slice of life, drama, romance anime. I think Kamichu is a underrated anime and I loved it. It's a pretty cute anime and everyone will probably find at least one character they will love.


Summary
Yurie Hitotsubashi was an average middle school student living in the city of Onomichi on Japan's inland sea in the 1980s. She spent her days worrying about exams and trying to get Kenji Ninomiya, the clueless boy she likes, to notice her. Then one day during lunch she suddenly announces to her friend Mitsue that the night befire she had become a goddess. Their classmate Matsuri quickly laches on to Yurie's newfound divinity as a way to promote her family's bankrupt Shino shrine. She hopes that replacing their hapless local god, Yashima-sama, with Yurie will make the shrine more popular (and profitable). Now, with Matsuri as her manager, Yurie has to grant wishes, cure curses, meet aliens, and attend god conventions. All while attending school and working-up the courage to confess to Kenji.


My Thoughts
I loved Kamichu and it is a pretty underrated anime that I think should get more attention. Kamichu gives you the slice-of-life genre and character situations that most of us can relate to. The art and animation is incredible and is more realistic much like many Studio Ghibli films. All the characters are fantastic and lovable in their own way and I guarantee everyone will find at least one character they will love. Our main character Yurie is shy, klutzy, adorable, and lovable and a character that most of us will love. Vying for Kenji's attention also adds excitement to the plot. Overall, Kamichu is a cute innocent anime that is enjoyable with great characters and a heartwarming charming theme. Also feel free to ship Kenji and Yurie! (So many guys named Kenji in anime are always getting these cute girls) (I wish there were more romances with a shy boy though!)


My Conclusion
I would give Kamichu! 4.5/5 stars or a 9/10 score. Kamichu! is a adorable, heartwarming anime with characters that everyone will love. I recommend Kamichu! for anyone who enjoys slice of life, drama, supernatural, or god-themed anime with with some romance added to it.


2 comments:

  1. Minor clarification, the 4 OVA episodes might have been released after the TV series aired but chronologically, they're episodes 8, 11, 13, and 16. Apparently (or at least according to the Wikipedia entry), they were produced to air but Asahi omitted them, probably to keep it down to a single 3-month "cour". I think the OVA episode where Miko and Shoukichi run off was a few minutes longer than the episodes that did air on televison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Okay then, my mistake. I didn't really look into that when writing this review.

      Delete