Friday, August 24, 2018

Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne (Phantom Thief Jeanne) Review

As you may have read I did reviews on Saint Tail and Full Moon wo Sagashite and mentioned in both that I would watch and review Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. Well now I finished watching Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, or Phantom Thief Jeanne in English, I will now review it. Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne started as a 7-volume 1998 manga written by Arina Tanemura and then adapted into a 44-episode 1999 anime series by Toei Animation. If Arina Tanemura sounds familiar she also wrote the manga Full Moon wo Sagashite and several other works such as Time Stranger Kyoko, The Gentlemen's Alliance Cross, Mistress Fortune, and Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura. Time Stranger Kyoko did have a 11-minute OVA but only Full Moon wo Sagashite and Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne had their own anime TV series which is quite a shame as I along with other people would love to see more of her manga get made into anime. Now back to the actual anime, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne is a magical girl, fantasy, mystery, romance anime that has a Kaitou/Phantom Thief theme similar to Saint Tail. If you liked Saint Tail then I guarantee you will also like Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. I liked Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and it is a good anime that every magical girl and Phantom Thief lover should watch.


Summary
Maron Kusakabe looks like a normal 16-year-old on the outside but is actually the reincarnation of Jeanne d'Arc. With the help of the angel, Fin Fish, Maron works as the thief Jeanne at night to seal the demons that reside in pieces of artwork, preying upon the weak hearts of owners. She is branded as a thief due to the fact that the artworks disappear after she seals the demons. One Day, a new neighbor and classmate appears, as well as a rival in her night job, the thief Sinbad. With her own best friend being the detective's daughter, out to capture her and the appearance of her new rival, Maron's work is anything but easy.


My Thoughts
Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne is a good anime some things are better than others. Considering this anime came out in 1999 the art is absolutely fantastic. Now the story and characters are also great as well. The manga runs longer and has more detail and goes into further depth. Each character is quite unique with their own backstories which are revealed further in the manga. I will probably read the manga since there is more detail to it. Overall, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne is a must watch for anyone who likes magical girl anime.


My Conclusion
I would give Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne 4.5/5 stars or a 9/10 score. I strongly recommend anyone who likes magical girl anime or Saint Tail to watch Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne. I wish more of Arina Tanemura's manga should be made into anime. In the future I will watch Wedding Peach, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Mermaid Melody which are similar magical girl anime.


2 comments:

  1. I've been trying to actually find this anime for a while, so is there any way you'd tell me where you watched this?

    ReplyDelete