Friday, August 17, 2018

Stellvia Review

I recently finished watching an anime called as Unchuu no Stellvia also known as Stellvia or Stellvia of the Universe in English. Stellvia is one of the few anime that didn't start as a manga but instead as a 26-episode anime series by Xebec studio in 2003. However there was a 2-volume manga written by Ryo Akitsuki in 2003 after the anime came out. Stellvia incorporates the genres of action, space, sci-fi, mecha, and romance. I liked Stellvia and I think it should get more attention.


Summary
During the year 2356 A.D. - 189 years after a distant supernova caused a global catastrophe that wiped out 99% of the wolrd population. To Keep track on all space activities, mankind has built colossal space stations called "fountains" all over the Solar System. After passing the Space Academy entrance exams, Shima Katase embarks to the Earth-based foundation Stellvia to fulfill her dream of seeing the galaxy and to prevent another interstellar catastrophe from destroying the earth.


My Thoughts
Stellvia is a rather interesting anime. While at first glance it may seem like your typical mecha space anime, its story and characters set it apart. The school portion of the anime reminded me of many different slice of life anime I have watched. Stellvia has some rather interesting characters with different personalities and agendas and play a huge role in the story. Stellvia also has a some coming-of-age themes to it as well. I guarantee everyone will find a character in this anime they can relate to. Overall, Stellvia is a hidden gem among anime mecha and space in particular. Oh yeah, Shima and Kouta are a pretty cute couple so feel free to ship them!


My Conclusion
I would give Stellvia 4.5/5 stars or a 9/10 score. While it may look like a childish typical mecha space anime, I enjoyed Stellvia. I recommend this hidden gem to anyone who is a fan of mecha and space anime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment