Sunday, January 20, 2019

Nishi no Yoki Majo: Astraea Testament (The Good Witch of the West) Review

If you may recall I reviewed Gosick and said that I would watch and review Nishi no Yoki Majo: Astraea Testament also known as The Good Witch of the West in English. Well I just finished watching it so I will review it! The Good Witch of the West started off as a series of fantasy novels from 1997-2003 by Noriko Ogiwara. It then became an 8-volume manga in 2004 also written by Noriko Ogiwara. If she sounds familiar she also wrote novels and manga for Red Data Girl an anime which I also reviewed previously. Under Hal Film Maker it was released as a 13-episode anime in 2006. The Good Witch of the West is a drama romance fantasy mystery anime. I really loved The Good Witch of the West with its interesting story, characters, and its different themes. I won't try to spoil to much but just in case...

**************************!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!**************************


Summary
Firiel Dee has lived all her life in the peaceful Cerafield countryside. On her 15th birthday, Firiel's life changes forever when she goes to a ball in Cape Amber wearing her mother's necklace that her friend and father's pupil, Roux Ltskin, gave to her. Lord Roland and Lady Adale, members of the royal family, recognize her necklace as belonging to the runaway Blue Princess - leading Firiel to the discovery that she is the long lost princess's daughter! Now, she must compete with all of the other candidates to become Queen of the land.


My Thoughts
I loved this anime and felt some similarities in the art with Red Data Girl as both were written by Noriko Ogiwara. The Good Witch of the West had different themes drama, romance, fantasy, and mystery so this anime would appeal to a wider audience. One thing, it doesn't really have much of Japanese theme but is more of a Medieval Western style story. The plot was great and it kept me interesting and wanting to watch more. More things began to unfold and I realized there was more to this anime than what I initially thought. The characters are quite unique and interesting in their own way as well. We have Firiel making her decision on whether to live as a queen or live a simple life. Additionally, we have some great romance in this anime as well. While Firiel sees her slightly younger childhood friend Roux as a little brother at first but does have romantic feelings for him later. Also, The Good Witch of the West had a lot of kiss scenes in it as well for an anime that is 13 episodes. Not as much as Mermaid Melody but about as much as Ano Natsu de Matteru (Waiting in the Summer) or Ai Yori Aoshi. I think I counted about 7 or 8 kiss scenes between Roux and Firiel. I also, mentioned in my 2018 Valentines Day Post that Roux and Firiel were an underrated couple that deserve more attention, so feel free to ship them. The ending too was great and definitely made me feel pretty good. Overall, The Good Witch of the West was a great anime with an interesting plot and characters!


My Conclusion
I would give The Good Witch of the West 5/5 stars or a 10/10 score. It was a great anime and at I really found it interesting and exciting at times. I would recommend The Good Witch of the West for anyone who is a fan of romance, drama, fantasy, or mystery.


No comments:

Post a Comment