Friday, February 1, 2019

Gift: Eternal Rainbow Review

You may have known from my other reviews of Operation Sanctuary, Da Capo, and Hoshizora E Kakaru Hashi I said I would review Gift: Eternal Rainbow. Well I just got the opportunity to watch it and now that I'm finished here's the review! Gift: Eternal Rainbow or just Gift started as a 2005 visual novel developed by Moonstone. Then a 5-volume light novel written by Mako Kamao came out in 2005. Later a 2-volume manga, Gift: Under the Rainbow was released in 2006. Moonstone also developed another visual novel, Gift Rainbow-colored Stories, in 2006. Finally, the 12-episode anime series, Gift: Eternal Rainbow, was released in 2006 by Oriental Light and Magic (OLM, Inc.). Additionally, there is also a 2006 light novel, Gift Prism: Over the Rainbow, written by Hiroshi Sukeno and a 2007 OVA. Gift: Eternal Rainbow is a romantic comedy, harem, drama, magical anime. This is such a great anime that I believe is very underrated and deserves more attention. Also, I will be talking about the ending so...

**************************!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!**************************


Summary
Haruhiko Amaumi is a high school student at Shimano Academy in a town called Narasakicho. Narasakicho contains an unknown rainbow which constantly overlooks the town and is related to granting a magical wish called "Gift." Gift is a once-in-a-lifetime present between two people.
As a child, Haruhiko has been close with his childhood friend, Kirino Konosaka, until he obtains a non-blood related sister, Riko Fukamine. Haruhiko and Riko develop a strong relationship until they sadly depart due to the fact Haruhiko's father could no longer support the two of them.
After some time passes by, Riko finally returns to the town of Narasakicho, and along with Kirino, starts to attend Shimano Academy with Haruhiko. The series revolves around the relationship among these main protagonists and slowly reveals the story behind both Gift and the rainbow.


My Thoughts
Gift: Eternal Rainbow is a very underrated romantic comedy harem anime. Harem anime are very hit or miss for me and this one was a hit. The art and animation is pretty good. I also love most of the characters and we get some interesting characters that make this anime entertaining to watch. What I really love is that we get to see all the main characters, Haruhiko, Riko, and Kirino's stories and see things through their eyes. Gift: Eternal Rainbow has a very nice plot. While it seems confusing and jumps around at first, it starts to pick up and become better as the story goes on. There are some "awkward moments" scenes but that didn't ruin the anime too much for me. At times it could be pretty sad at times and it definitely played with your emotions quite a bit.


Romance Aspect (**********!SPOILER ALERT!**********)
Gift: Eternal Rainbow is a romance anime so there's lots of it in the story. We have a love-triangle concept between Haruhiko, Riko, and Kirino. Kirino is Haruhiko's childhood friend and has remained close to him until Haruhiko gains Riko. Riko has known Haruhiko as a non-blood older brother, though they're the same age since they were young. Riko returns after having been away for a while to reunite with Haruhiko. The ending to Gift: Eternal Rainbow did a great job of wrapping up the story as I said in my Endings Rant. Like many love-triangle stories the lesson is that not everyone can win in the end. Kirino accepts that Haruhiko and Riko are happy together and moves on but still remains friends with them. We get a lesson about Gift and Haruhiko and Riko share a kiss and vow to see the rainbow together. Like I said we get to see everyone's side of the story and realize why Haruhiko and Riko end up together. I usually don't support incest relationships, I will make exceptions as Haruhiko and Riko are not blood-related and are only siblings in name. Marriage laws in Japan are less strict than the USA. With that being said I feel Haruhiko and Riko are an underrated couple as I stated in my 2017 Valentines Day Post so feel free to ship them.


My Conclusion
I would give Gift: Eternal Rainbow 5/5 stars or an 10/10 score. This was a great romantic comedy, harem, drama, magical anime and I would recommend Gift: Eternal Rainbow for anyone who's a fan of those genre's or likes similar anime like Hani Hani: Operation Sanctuary, Da Capo, or Hoshizora E Kakaru Hashi. Next, I will watch and review another romance, drama anime Lamune also involving childhood friends, which I think is also underrated so stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment