Wednesday, December 21, 2016

My Tastes, Likes, and Dislikes

This will be about what I generally find entertaining and good. First thing, I'm not into physiological or gore, horror, or graphic anime or other stuff. I am however into action and adventure as well as slice of life and drama. I will also relate to other things sometimes in my personal life as well. Personally I will be going over a few things.

Anime I Like
Studio Ghibli
I like Studio Ghibli movies with my favorite being: 1. Spirited Away, 2. Princess Mononoke, 3. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, 4. Castle in the Sky, 5. Grave of the Fireflies, and 6. My Neighbor Totoro.
While Spirited Away is my favorite and often considered the best. Princess Mononoke and Nausica of the Valley of the Wind are a close 2nd and 3rd and they both catch my interest as I am a Ecology and Conservation major and both movies have environmental themes. In Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind it portrays how we must not let our greed get the best of us and how we should take care of the planet in a future post apocalyptic setting. In general animals fight and kill just to stay alive, while humans fight and kill for more, mainly power and money. If we let our greed take over then we may just be fighting and killing just to stay alive.


Princess Mononoke on the other hand takes place in the past during the Feudal Era in Japan. We see a battle between man and the forest particularly the Forest Gods. Both movies show that if we keep messing with mother nature and pushing her she may eventually strike back. The movies often reflect the impact of humans on the planet.


One thing I like and my sister likes about these films are their strong female roles. Females such as San and Nausicaa in particular are strong, independent Princess Warriors who can both hold their and don't need a man to protect them. Yet they still remain faithful to their loved ones.


Grave of the Fireflies particularly was heart-wrenching as many can agree with me. It teaches us no matter which country it is, war is sad for the victims and anyone who suffers. Setsuko and Seita are brother and sister struggling to survive during the firebombing of Kobe, Japan during WWII.

It's kind of a shame Hayao Miyazaki retired and the studio had to shut down. I do have some slight hope that his son Goro may be able to take his place. Goro on the other hand has already directed two films and a show. The first is Tales of Earthsea which didn't fare to well but I didn't think it was that bad, I actually kind of liked it. The second is From Up on Poppy Hill which good pretty good Reviews.

Other Anime, Movies, and Shows
Now I love any anime, movie, or show that can combine action, romance, and/or comedy and have a good balance of each. This would be stuff like Inuyasha, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, Sword Art Online, Shakugan no Shana, The Hunger Games, Divergent, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra, and Teen Titans. I like it when comedy and serious moments can be balanced out perfectly. It is good when it can also contain romance and at least a decent amount of romantic scenes. I may like it more or less depending how it ends.


Now I do watch anime that are mainly romance anime such as Clannad, Waiting in the Summer, Love Chunibyo & Other Delusions, Golden Time, Ah My Goddess, Lovely Complex etc. I am however rather picky about how an anime ends which I will be talking about later in another post. The hopelessly romantic guy getting a good looking girl is something that always gets my hopes up as I feel I am a lot like that guy. Examples: Ah My Goodess, Lovely Complex (I'm kind of on the short side), Venus to Mamoru, etc.


What I don't like in Anime
Personally I despise fanservice, hentai, and ecchi as they have little to none touchy feely moments or themes. There are exceptions though. I also may not like an anime because of its ending and may swear off for good.


Harem Genre
I've seen plenty of Harem Anime and usually I probably don't like it. I wish there were more anime with actual 1 on 1 couples than multiple girls/boys to the same person and I'm sick of the onii-chan/onee-chan brother-sister complex. But its the society I was raised and grew up in that your romance should be one at a time and one on one with a special someone. I might see it different if I grew up in a harem environment. The problem is when a guy doesn't choose the certain girl he wants to be with and either friendzones them all or marries them all. It is also infuriating when there are so many love interests/boys/girls that it's is next to impossible to keep track of them all.


Now that being said there are exceptions and harem anime that I actually like because:
1.) The guy/girl picks and ends up with a certain love interest and right person in the end.
2.) One love interest obviously stands out from the rest in a better way.
3.) The anime has a good or bittersweet ending
4.) Plenty of romantic scenes and moments
Now that being said, I will review some harem that I thought were good because of this.

Tropes & Cliches
Now I'm fine with most cliches and tropes as long as they make the anime good but these are just too much for me. 
  1. Sexual Tropes- Like I mentioned I hate fanservice, hentai, and ecchi and wish I can unsee what I did see. That being said can we have no more of the falling into awkward positions scenes? I mean really come on that's really getting old people. These stupid f***ing overused fanservice, ecchi, falling into awkward positions scenes aren't even funny anymore. I do find nutshots funny though and sometimes I'll find comments about breasts or whatever funny but can we not get too much into this?
  2. Sexual Character- Do I even need to mention. Also why do some teachers in school look like women who are too young to teach and have that younger male complex? I mean that's getting annoying.
  3. Too Many Characters-Like I mentioned in my harem it is difficult to keep track of many characters. Now it is okay if it is a long anime series and all the minor characters appear at different times.
  4. The tsundere stays tsundere and doesn't change-This one, how do I put this? By the term tsundere that characters starts off mean then becomes nice. Now I've seen more modern tsunderes who do become nicer but still have their mean streak and continue to have their devilish side till the end. Some have moments and phases of nice and mean while others are just plain mean
Now other tropes I'm fine with as the anime itself is good and has a good ending.

Now with all that being said I hope you find my reviews useful and enjoy it as well as the stories I will be posting in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment