Sunday, June 3, 2018

Ao no Exorcist (Blue Exorcist) Review

I just finished a rather popular anime series known as Ao no Exorcist (Blue Exorcist) so as you all guessed, I'm going to review it. Ao no Exorcist was originally a manga written by Kazue Kato and adapted into an 25 episode + OVA 2011 anime series. There was also a movie in 2012 made after the series. After the second manga came out there was 12 episode + 2 OVA 2017 anime series. While there are a few kinks, I overall liked the series and am using this as inspiration for My Story. Mainly a few of these characters are very much like my characters.


Summary
Rin Okumura looks like an ordinary boy but one day he encounters a boy who has been possessed by a demon. In the struggle he not only awakens powers within him, but learns that he is the son of Satan! Rin decides to fight against his parentage and joins the True Cross Order as an exorcist. Now, he must attend True Cross Academy and begin special exorcist training with his new comrades all while keeping his identity a secret.


My Thoughts
I liked this anime and enjoyed watching it. I will discuss some kinks that it had though. For one, there were areas which this anime was kind of lacking. Also, a few characters were pretty annoying and unlikable but they didn't ruin the story much. On the other hand I enjoyed this action, fantasy anime. It was pretty exciting and I was looking forward to watching the next episode every time I watched it.


Comparison to My Story
There are many ways this anime ties into My Story and how they compare. For one, Rin and Yukio Okumura are both motivated by their father's death to take on their journey of fighting demons and eventually defeating Satan. In my story, Takeshi and Taro Hachuu are also motivated by their father's death to take on their journey to defeat their enemies and prove their innocence. Rin Okumura must keep his demon self a secret and control his powers as with the characters in my story who have to keep their animal identities secret and control their powers as well. Takeshi Hachuu and Yukio have pretty similar personalities. Both are usually mature, professional, wise, and intelligent. Taro and Rin are a lot a like too! Both are kind of immature, bad tempered, and get in trouble a lot but strive to reach their goals plus they kind of look alike as well.

Rin Okumura
Taro Hachuu

The difference is Takeshi and Taro take on their adventure outside of school with friends (aka. love interests/S.O.) Annabelle "Angel" Ahrimo, Nina Moriko, and Nina's owl Sova in a smaller group. Occasionally their cousin Masami Kobayashi joins too. For Rin and Yukio it's part of school and they have a larger group of friends. Both Rin and Yukio's parents are deceased, while only Takeshi and Taro's dad is deceased and they still have their mom.

My Conclusion
I would give this anime 4/5 stars or an 8/10 score. I liked this anime and it was a exciting series that I had a hard time not watching. Like I mentioned, this has also given my inspiration for My Story. I'm very excited to watch a similar series called Sousei no Onmyouji (Twin Star Exorcists).


No comments:

Post a Comment