Sunday, July 1, 2018

Mahoraba: Heartful Days Review

As you guessed, I'm going to do another anime review on one I recently finished, Mahoraba: Heartful Days or simply known as Mahoraba (not to be confused with Maburaho which as a horrendous anime). Mahoraba was originally a 12-volume manga written by Akira Kojima. Then it was adapted into a 2005 26-episode anime series by J.C. Staff. Mahoraba is a drama, romantic comedy anime that I found quite enjoyable despite it not going as far into the story as the manga went. For the most part this anime is also age appropriate for kids (if the kids can pay attention to subtitles) and has some child friendly theming to it as well. This is an anime I believe does deserve more attention as well. Oh yeah I may a few hints about the ending so...

**************************!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!**************************


Summary
Shiratori Ryuushi is a young artist in training, about to start studying at a vocational school. At his new lodgings, Narutakisou, he finds himself the focus of weirdos that inhabit the place. He also meets and falls for for the landlady, his childhood friend, and second cousin, Aoba Kozue, who seems to be both lovely and charming. However, Kozue is not what she seems to be... in fact she's more.


My Thoughts
Mahoraba: Heartful Days is a pretty funny, sweet, charming, and cute romantic comedy but it does tap into deeper issues at times. Nevertheless it does have a child-friendly theme so I think it would be okay for kids to watch as well. The plot in the anime doesn't go very far and more happens in the manga so I probably might read (or skim) the manga. Now I know Kozue and Shiratori are second cousins and while I usually don't like incest I will make exceptions. Also, in Japan it is legal to marry a cousin or adopted sibling (I'm not entirely certain but it is less strict than the USA). Additionally, in many countries it is legal to marry a cousin plus it was common in the United States in the early 1900s. Just saying we have different culture and plus many original Disney stories had some incest which is why I still think it's okay for kids. With that being said I did mention this in My Endings Rant as an ending that could be better but wasn't bad.

Anyway this is still a good series overall and it does have somewhat of a child-friendly. Unfortunately I can't find videos of just the opening and ending but you can see from this video it is still a cute innocent anime.



My Conclusion
I would give Mahoraba: Heartful Days 4/5 stars or an 8/10 score. While it is not the absolute best it has a cute, sweet, innocent, friendly appeal. The plot doesn't go far as it does in the manga but it is still a good anime that I think deserves more attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment