Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Yu Yu Hakusho Review

If you remember I did a review on Flame of Recca about 1.5 years ago and I mentioned I would be watching Yu Yu Hakusho. Well I finally got the time to finish Yu Yu Hakusho so I am going to review it. Yu Yu Hakusho started off as a 1990-1994 19-volume manga written by Yoshihiro Togashi. It was then adapted into a 1992 anime series by Studio Pierrot with 112 epsiodes. Additionally, there are 6 OVA episodes and 2 films. Yu Yu Hakusho is a very popular anime and considered a great classic. It is compared to other anime such as Bleach, Dragon Ball Z, and Inuyasha and has earned a reputation as the Dragon Ball Z of the 1990s. In my opinion, I really liked Yu Yu Hakusho and I think it is a classic that all anime enthusiasts should watch especially if you are a fan of action, adventure, comedy, or supernatural anime. It was an exciting series that had a way to keep you coming back for more, which is good considering there are 112 episodes. Also, this has given me more ideas for My Story as a few of the characters are relatable to my characters.


Summary
Yu Yu Hakusho revolves around Yusuke Urameshi, a 14 year old delinquent. One day he throws himself in front of a moving car to save a young boy which kills Yusuke His ultimate sacrifice is so out of character that the authorities of the spirit realm are not prepared to let him pass on. Heir to the thrown of the spirit realm, Koenma, offers Yusuke a chance to come back to life through completing a series of tasks. With the guidance of the Grim Reaper, Botan, he is to thwart evil presences on Earth as Spirit Detective. Alongside him on his venture are ex-rival Kazuma Kuwabara, and two demons, Hiei and Kurama who have criminal pasts. Together, they train and battle against enemies who would threaten humanities very existence. Guiding them are Botan and Genkai and also joining them are Keiko Yukimura, Yusuke's childhood friend and love interest.


My Thoughts
I was looking forward to watching Yu Yu Hakusho and it did not disappoint either. This is truly a great classic from the 90s. It is a very fun and enjoyable series plus it is exciting and I was always excited to watch the next episode. When you hear about each character's backstory you begin to understand them and their motivations even more which is another thing I liked. One more thing Yu Yu Hakusho does very well that I will do with My Anime is balance the comedy and action (or comedy action and romance in My Story) which is why I also loved other shows such as Inuyasha, Teen Titans, Avatar: The Last Airbender, and Legend of Korra. There was a great balance of serious action moments and comedic moments in the anime and they were done at the right time when necessary.

Comparison to My Anime
Yusuke Urameshi and many other characters share similar qualities to my characters. Yusuke is very comparable to Taro Hachuu as both have a short temper and are trouble makers (Taro not as much though) but are also protective of their loved ones and allies. Takeshi Hachuu on the other hand is not a delinquent but also has the protectiveness of Yusuke (if not more). All three are strong fighters and raised by single mothers during the anime, although Takeshi and Taro's mother, Ren Hachuu, is more caring and closer to her boys.

Yusuke Urameshi
Taro Hachuu














Keiko Yukimura is comparable to Nina Moriko, who is consequently Taro's childhood friend, love-interest, later girlfriend, and "possibly" even later wife (I'm trying not to spoil things for you). Like Yusuke and Keiko, Taro and Nina also get into arguments at first and have disagreements but they do care for each other and can't stand to see the other one hurt.

Keiko Yukimura
Nina Moriko














Conclusion
I would give Yu Yu Hakusho a 4.5/5 stars or a 9/10 score. This anime is a classic and a gem from before 2000 that I think everyone should give a try. I highly recommend Yu Yu Hakusho if you are a fan of action, adventure, and supernatural genres with some comedy. It was an exciting and enjoyable series and with 112 episodes there's plenty to watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment